Monday 27 July 2015

Lookbook | Class Clown



Bored. Bored of society. Bored of the system. Bored of judgement. Bored of excuses. I think I am in a stage of my life where the only thing I care about is what I want and how I'm going to get it. Of course, what I want is always in direct correlation with who I want to become. I want to live a daring life and in order to do that I must colour outside of the lines. I want to be strong, courageous and that requires breaking the one rule that is put in place to hinder growth: showing your true self to the world.

And here comes the big but. The idea that there is a correlation between the clothes you choose to wear and who you are makes me laugh. Dressing is the greatest form of deception. When you attend job interviews you dress in a way that will help the employer feel like you are worthy of their trust. When you go to a nightclub, you want to look like you are the life of the party. Can you hear your mother's snide comments on how short that skirt is or how you should 'wear a bra' with that? It is the most interesting thing to observe; people living their lives according to what society deems appropriate. Isn't it about time we break out of those boundaries that confine us into the smallest box? 7,000,000,000 people in a tiny box, no wonder most of us feel like we can't breathe. It's no wonder that while in this small box we're zapping each other's oxygen just to stay alive. 

I feel like I speak of this topic a lot and that is because it's important. Greatness does not come from standardisation. We can't change the world if we all think the same so I'm stepping up to show that it is possible to leave that small confined box to join me in a place of freedom. Freedom in its purest form is knowing that people will judge your every move but continuing to make those moves anyway. Freedom is digging out the dreams you are most passionate about and chasing them like your entire existence depends on it. Freedom is picking the unpopular option on the menu, just because you feel like it.

It's easy to form perceptions about me through the way I choose to dress but at the end of the day you have to remember that it is a choice. In my Stellar interview I mention that I can be "the girl in the long coat, turtleneck dress and over the knee socks, other times, the girl in the leather jacket and grey jeans. There is great liberty in that.

The people you admire in your everyday life, be it entrepreneurs, social influencers or celebrities are doing what you are too afraid to do. There are too many things in this world that exist only to brainwash us but if you are looking for a wake up call to do something you've been wanting to do but never built the courage to do it, this is your sign.










Share

No comments:

Post a Comment